EDCI 338 Blog 3

My V and R Mapping

1. What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

According to David White, many people use Facebook privately in order to establish their professional network. I was not surprised when I read this because I also personally use Facebook to create my professional network. For example, I like the pages of the companies that I would like to be part of in the near future to check how the company is doing and to get to know the company as well. This is also a good preparation for the job interview because applicants must have a good background of the company that they are applying in. Another reason why some users use Facebook in creating their professional network is because it is also hassle-free and convenient to use. Facebook has a Messenger App that allows users to create chat rooms, conduct video conferences, and share videos and their screen. This means that if the user is already working and his/her co-worker is on their friend’s list, they can easy connect to one another and do job related task without using a different application.

1. What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

As a digital learner myself, I believe that Facebook is not the only digital platform that I can use to expand my professional learning network. I highly recommend that my fellow digital learners should also use blogging websites like WordPress, Wix, and LinkedIn. Creating and maintaining websites is not that hard as WordPress, Wix, and LinkedIn already provide templates that users can use so they do not have to do a lot of coding. In expanding my professional network, I post blogs that are relevant to my career. When it comes to my digital resume, it is not readily available there but there is a link in my website that web visitors can click if they want to request for my digital resume. I learned utilizing websites to create a professional identity online from my photographer friends. In creating their portfolios, they post their works so that their clients can already have an idea about their art style and aesthetics. This made me realize that I can also use website to create my digital portfolio and impress my future employers.

1. In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

As a professional in the future, I wanted to create a digital identity or reputation that matches my career. I believe that nobody will trust an economists who posts dank memes online. Accordingly, I created two social media accounts: one for personal use where I can post anything I want and the other one is for professional use which is clean and meant to impress my future employers. I did not use my real name in my personal account or else my future employers will still be able to find it and judge me because of that. In creating my digital identity in professional network, I make it a point to follow and add professionals as well. This way I will have an idea on how I could better manage my network. Also, as I have mentioned earlier, I also follow the companies to get to know them better. Of course, I am not only after the salary and other perks, I also would like to know if the advocacy of the company is aligned with my advocacies in life.

1. Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

I believe that if a local employer would search my name online, which I always do to verify if my personal accounts are really hard to find, I will be able to establish a professional digital identity. This is because employers can be easily lead to my website where they can see my blogs and request for my digital resume. The employers will also have enough ideas about me as my website also showcases my skills and hobbies.

Works Cited

White, David. “V&R Mapping at Educause.” David White, 19 Nov. 2012, daveowhite.com/vr-mapping-at-educause/.