EDCI Blog 10

• Consider how you can use the PLN interactions of this course to further your digital identity post-term.

Looking back, I would say that this course really helped me out when it comes to my PLN interactions. Before, my PLN interactions are just random but now, my PLN interactions are charged with intention. To further my digital identity post-term, I will make it sure to interact with people online who I think can give me idea on how I could be an effective and relevant economist in the 21st century. After all, Rodrigues and Beefun stated that digital literacy and digital identity allow actions and creations of social network that can be an ideal breeding ground for collaborative learning (cited in Oliveira & Morgado 468). This means that in my PLN interactions, I will make it sure that the people I am interacting with would also learn something from me. I would not like it if I am the only one benefitting in my PLN. Of course, it would be better if I am also helping others out in my PLN. Thus, in my PLN interactions I am both a learner and a teacher.

• What does it mean to have a digital identity in your industry of choice?

In the article written by Oliveira and Morgado, Digital Identity is “understood as the total information about the individual, from credentials that allow access to the closed system, to the representation of the complex “I” in an open digital space (469). In my industry of choice, which is Economics, I believe that having a digital identity means being a reliable source of information on economics online. When my PLN members would see my name online, the very first thing that would come into their mind is that I major in Economics so therefore, the information that I am sharing online with regard to economics must be reliable. I would say that this is not only true in the field of Economics. When a media personality is also sharing news in their timeline, the PLN members already assume that whatever that media personality is sharing is not some kind of fake news.

• Can your current PLN be used to help professional development post-course?

One of the features of PLN according to Oliveira and Morgado is that it allows learning through practice, dialogue, and interaction (472). In line with this, when someone visits my timeline or my profile, they would see my online engagements as evidences of my learning. In addition to this, they would also see the efforts that I am taking in order to get the information I want. Given the idea that my PLN can show evidences of my growth and learning, I could share my PLN to my prospective employers to give them an idea on how I work and deal with other people. Thus, I could use my PLN for my professional development.  

• Additionally, as you progress through the steps of your career, can your PLN be relied on to open professional opportunities?

I would say that my PLN can be considered reliable when it comes to professional opportunities because my PLN members are composed of professionals. Engaging with various professional can help me build my network and earning their trust would help me earn recommendation. Just last time, I had an opportunity to have a discussion with one of my PLN members. During our discussion I mentioned that I am a graduating student and so he congratulated me and told me that if I needed help looking for a company, I could contact him. I felt happy after our conversation because all I did was sit in front of my computer and start a conversation with someone.

Works Cited

Oliveira, Nuno R., and Lina Morgado. “Digital Identity of Researchers and Their Personal Learning Network.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2014, pp. 467-475, link-springer-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-07485-6.pdf.

4 thoughts on “EDCI Blog 10”

1. Hi Zongyu,
    As an economic student, I would have the same feelings since economics is the major require people and individuals to understand various information and knowledge before making conclusions and judgment. PLN must be reliable for the networks to share. I believe by building PLN networks online with professional career standards, it helps us to connect with same group faster and ultimately helps us to gain faster information on the daily news basis.

1. Hello Yrisxx! Thanks for leaving a reply I really appreciate it. I totally agree with the idea that PLN will not only help us connect with various groups but it could also help us gain necessary information on a daily basis. As economists, we should also be aware of what is going on around us because these events can greatly affect our economy. Hence, working in our industry is comparable to working in the media industry. In todays’ setting, exchange of information can happen in a snap. For this reason, as economists we need to keep up with that or we are going to be left behind.

2. Hi zongyujia,
    I like your blog says that digital literacy and digital identity would make us successful in the 21st century. It helps us gain creative and collaborative networking abilities which make us have more practice opportunity before we step into our career path.